Okay I don’t care what people say but Phi Phi island is magical!! Some people say its too touristy, too commercial and too expensive but trust me you gotta go, especially if you’ve never been. I mean yes it is really crowded and its one of the most expensive islands but that’s no reason to skip it. I am writing this post not only to share what makes Phi Phi island incredible but also to give you tips to make your visit even better!
Without going into a big tangent about why we loved Phi Phi island, I’ll just list a few of the reasons why you should add this to your Thailand bucketlist.
- So much to do! Since phi phi island is one of the most touristy islands of Thailand there is no shortage of tours. You can find all kinds of tours from snorkeling to caving. There is lots to do actually, of course there’s Maya Bay and the Blue lagoon but there’s also bamboo island and the monkey island which you can explore so your best bet is to grab a long tail boat and go island hopping!
- For the adventurer in you, there is an awesome view point that you can get to after a strenuous 30 minute climb. The Phi Phi View Point is located to the east of the flat strip of sand and overlooks the village and the two bays. It’s picture perfect and totally Insta worthy!
- Amazing Nightlife! The Phi Phi island is known as the party island and its no wonder why. The island has a very young vibe and has tons of trendy bars and restaurants but the biggest highlight is the fireshow! Everyday the beaches of Phi Phi literally get ‘lit’ past 10 up until the wee hours of the morning. Fireshows are a definite must watch if you go! (Unfortunately we missed this because we only stayed for 1 night and we ended up staying at the quieter side of the island.
- Beautiful crystal clear water! To be honesty I thought all of the islands in Thailand would have picturesque turquoise waters but a lot of them actually don’t. Actually a lot of factors contribute to this for example the time of year you go, the weather, low tide , high tide and location. Don’t get me wrong the islands are still beautiful and I am sure they each have stunning clear water surrounding them somewhere or another but just don’t go island hopping hoping for Maldivian waters at all time. With that said, Phi Phi island had some of the best most picturesque water we’ve ever seen, truly looked like paradise. Its no wonder the island offers man snorkeling experience
- Easy to get to. Honestly getting to Phi Phi is so convenient, there are tons of ferrys that go there from Phuket and Koh Lanta and not only that but its on the way to a lot of the other islands so if you are island hopping, its kind of perfect to stop over here. Also its one of those islands where you could literally go just for a day trip with a tour or you could hop on a ferry and go for a night or two , it really depends on you. We decided to spend 1 night as it was on our way to Koh Lanta and we didn’t want be to limit ourselves by going on just a day trip.
- There are 2 piers in Koh phi phi (Tonsai pier and Laemtong) so make sure when you are booking your transfer from Phuket or wherever else, you ensure your ticket takes you to the right port. We didn’t know this and then on the ferry we had to pay extra for a ticket to our actual harbor even though the person we bought the tickets from said it would take us to our hotel. So just ensure the right port is listed on the ticket you receive.
- Like I said, there are two piers at koh phi phi which means one is the main island (Tonsai Pier) where all the partying happens, its where all the convenience stores, restaurants and bars are as well. The other port is a 20 minute boat ride away so if you are looking to party and stuff you may not want to pick a resort there. i would suggest staying near Tonsai Bay as its a lot more lively and convenient. Its also closer to Koh Phi PHI Le where Maya Bay and the rest of the attractions are. Also there are a lot more long tail boats there so you have lots of options to shop around and negotiate for prices.
- When booking a long tail, or speed boat, don’t do it directly with the hotel, if you go up to the beach you will find tons of boats lined up and you can score yourself a better deal
- There’s no question that Maya Bay is drop-dead gorgeous, but as you can see, avoiding photo-bombers in the back of your pictures is near impossible. To minimize the number of tourists sharing your view, get up at sunrise and beat the crowds. Trust me — it’s so worth it
- As I said above, While there are day trips that will take you out to Koh Phi Phi from Krabi or Phuket, you’ll end up feeling rushed and likely battling tourists the whole way. If you can take the time, stay on the island or dock for a few nights by boat in the harbor so that you have more time to be flexible with when and how you’ll see everything on your to-do list.
- Buy your booze before going to Koh Phi Phi, its double the price there even at 7/11
P.S We stayed at the beautiful Zeavola Resort, click here to book!